- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 2 celery stems sliced finely
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Rinse the lentils.
- A traditional method of preparing lentils is to soak them in water for 6 hours or overnight.
- A quicker method is boiling in water for 45 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into the stock pot add carrot, celery, onion and corn and cook stirring until onion softens.
- Add chicken drumsticks and enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 40 minutes until chicken is cooked and liquid reduced.
- Remove drumsticks. Shred or chop chicken flesh from drumstick removing any gristle and bones.
- Skim off any fat or froth from the cooking water surface then add drained cooked lentils to the stock pot.
- Return chicken to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Using a slotted spoon dish up 2 desserts and spoonfuls for a baby meal.
Serves 4 adults as soup.
- Add some cooked pasta (wholemeal) or rice (brown) to the dish.
- Simmer for longer to reduce the liquid and enhance flavour.
- Freeze in ice cubes. This hotpot can be frozen with vegetables.
- Freezes for 3 months.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E